Our Walking Guide to DUMBO, New York
July 7, 2017 by
Ever wondered what lies under the Manhattan Bridge overpass in Brooklyn? Probably not, but in case you ever do wonder, let us save you some time: it’s incredible. DUMBO, which stands for Down Under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass, is home to a booming art scene with tons of fun activities for all ages to enjoy.
If you ever do decide to visit DUMBO (a highly recommended decision), make sure to block out a substantial amount of time to explore the neighborhood. Although the area is relatively small and easily walkable, it is packed with adventures you will want ample time to enjoy.
From art galleries to restaurants, to shopping, we’ve made a list of places to go and people to see on your next visit to DUMBO:
1. Usagi Gallery [163 Plymouth St] – Home to an ever-changing, carefully curated exhibition space AND a cafe, this may be one of the coolest galleries you ever visit.
2. La Catrina [140 Plymouth St] – A tiny little flower studio filled with beautiful flowers and sweet smells that’ll to make you want to stay awhile.
3. Melt Bakery [111 Front St] – Stop in and grab a tasty ice cream sandwich to cool down as you walk the streets.
4. Ad Astra Studio [145 Front St.] – This Brooklyn-based designer boutique is one of many places to shop while in DUMBO.
5. Atrium DUMBO [15 Main Street] – Taste their locally sourced ingredients while relaxing in their boutique-styled restaurant filled with greenery.
6. Cecconi’s [55 Water St.] – Have an easy weekend brunch here enjoying their waterfront views of the Manhattan Skyline.
7. Brooklyn Children’s Museum – This place has a ton of hands-on exhibits and engaging activities for kids to love and learn from.
8. Berl’s Poetry [141 Front Street] – A family owned poetry store containing a selection of small-press books and limited edition works of art by authors and publishers.
9. Forager’s [56 Adams Street] – Reserve a table here for a nice sit-down meal or scale the isles to find the freshest groceries in Brooklyn.
10. A.I.R. Gallery [155 Plymouth Street] – Observe the rotating works of hundreds of women artists, attend a lecture on feminism, and on your way out buy a postcard by one of the many artists who have passed through this space.
11. Powerhouse Arena [28 Adams Street] – As a self-proclaimed “laboratory for creative thought,” the Arena is a performance and event space as well as a gallery, bookstore, and boutique.
12. One Girl Cookies [33 Main St] – Stop in for a coffee or a slice of cake as you people watch through the bakery’s giant windows.
13. TRUNK [68 Jay Street] – Yet another one of DUMBO’s cool boutique stores, TRUNK’s philosophy is to source their retail items from local designers and producers to support the community while guaranteeing quality made pieces.
14. Pedro’s Mexican Bar and Restaurant [73 Jay St.] – Looks like a dive from the outside, but on inside the food is incredible. Plus the margaritas are legit.
15. Brooklyn Bridge Park – Take a walk along the greenway, play with your dog in the dog park, or maybe, if you’re lucky, watch a couple get married on the waterfront.
16. Superfine [126 Front St.] – Plan to get brunch here – yet another place in DUMBO to eat tasty and freshly sourced food, but, in this case, enjoy your food with a cool retro themed twist.
17. Olympia Wine Bar [54 Jay St.] – Grab a couple of signature cocktails or a bottle of wine here to bring an end t0 your fabulous day walking around DUMBO.
18. MINUS SPACE [16 Main St.] – This gallery is one of only a few in the country to specialize in reductive art exhibitions – if you want to see something new, different, and awesome, come here.